For optimal performance of Outlook Connector for MDaemon® with your email network please review the general recommendations and deployment considerations listed below.
- Outlook Connector requires Windows XP or higher and Outlook 2003 or higher to function.
- Users with large mailboxes may experience reduced performance using Outlook Connector in comparison to using an IMAP or POP3 account. This is most noticeable when opening Outlook, when large folders are accessed for the first time, when using Outlook 2003's Search Folders, or when accessing the Journal folder.
- Compatibility with third party Outlook plug-ins and PDA synchronization software cannot be guaranteed. Outlook Connector does not make use of PST files. Compatibility with any software which requires PST files should be checked prior to purchase. In some cases, adding an empty PST file to the Outlook Connector profile may help.
Note: The trial period should be used to ensure compatibility and functionality with any important plug-ins prior to purchase.
- S/MIME encoded (digitally signed) emails are not currently supported in Outlook Connector.
- Outlook 2007 may use excessive amounts of memory if you have a large number of folders, each with thousands of messages in them where grouping is also being used.
Note: This problem is also present in an Exchange 2003 / Outlook 2007 installation and is not specific to Outlook Connector.
- Outlook's search folders will only reflect changes to items if Outlook has been re-started.
- Outlook custom forms and custom template files (.OFT) are not currently supported by Outlook Connector.
- The Activities tab for Contacts may not work or may cause Outlook to hang (on very large profiles).
- Roaming users should relocate their Outlook Connector cache files (LocalCache.db) on a network share so that the data does not roam with their profile.
- In Outlook 2003, when scheduling meetings, users need to select Tools | Check Names for the free / busy information to update.
- Journal folders are not supported in WorldClient (MDaemon's Web-Based Email Client).
General Use Recommendations
- We highly recommend using a single Outlook Connector account in a profile with no other accounts setup. Click here for instructions for setting up your Outlook Connector account.
- For maximum performance, we recommend using Outlook Connector with MDaemon Pro 9 and above.
- Regular defragmentation of the MDaemon server's hard disk is recommended. Server performance can be further improved by reducing the amount of logging MDaemon is doing (Setup | Server Settings | Logging | Options) along with moving the logs folder and user/public/queues folders to a physically separate disk.
- We recommend periodically purging and compacting the Outlook Connector database file. Click here for instructions.
- The local Outlook Connector cache file should be excluded from realtime scanning by third party desktop antivirus applications. By default, the local Outlook Connector cache is located at C:\Documents and Settings\-username-\Application Data\Alt-N\Outlook Connector 3.x\ProfileName\account-name\User'sEmail@YourCompany.com
- Outlook should only be configured to use HTML or Plain Text format for sending emails. Depending on the version of Outlook you are using, these settings can usually be found via Tools | Options | Mail Format tab. Outlook should not be configured to use Word as its email editor or to use Rich Text Format (RTF) - both of these methods result in emails which do not adhere to Internet standards.
- We recommend configuring Outlook Connector's Send/Receive tab (located under the Account button in the Outlook Connector toolbar) to only download headers and to only check the Inbox folder for new items at each Outlook send/receive - these are the default settings.